A girandole is a very seldom-used word in the English language, being derived from the latin word 'gyre', which means a circling or rotating motion. The word girandole has three different meanings, but the meaning which I am focusing upon is its meaning of "a showy or flashy display, such as that of a fireworks display".
Fireworks are quite popular in Japan. They range from the large and professional displays to small sets of fireworks that groups of friends may set off on a beach. Fireworks are easily available and can be purchased by kids to have firecracker fights on the beach. Quite amusing to watch, although it is dangerous, but that in itself is probably a draw for the exchange of flying sparks and flares in the din of night. Although... with such easy access to firecrackers, mischievous children seem to have quite a bit of fun with them. For example, those children, after being yelled at for making a ruckus by a homeless man living in an outdoor restroom, took their remaining firecrackers and... set them off at the restroom door just to send the poor guy into an even greater tantrum.
While in Japan, I wasn't able to experience a large fireworks display to signify certain holidays or events, so I had to settle for the beachside view of friends playing with fireworks. *Click here for link to some of that night's firework pics and video*
The next time I go to Japan though, I'd like to see more festivals and their girandolic firework displays. The festivals that I did go to did not have fireworks, unfortunately. Summer seems to be the prime season for that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm really enjoying reading your blog. I can't wait to learn more about the culture/language. I wish there was a way of having someone else in class studying Japanese, so we could be exposed to it. I'm always looking for similarities among languages and cultures.
ReplyDeleteAre fireworks more prevalent in Japan than in the US? Which festivals have firworks?
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say that they're more prevalent, but there's just easier access to them. Kids can go into random stores, since there are multitudes of small businesses lined up along the sides of each street, and easily purchase fireworks for a relative pittance. Based on what I've observed, there doesn't seem to be a prime fireworks season, such as the 4th of July here, but I did see less fireworks being sold and used during winter.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to festivals, I don't really know. There are multitudes of festivals ranging from large and famous ones to smaller local festivals in the less populated areas of Japan. I do remember seeing information about a relatively large festival involving fireworks, but it was difficult to understand many details.
Fireworks make a perfect example for this word!
ReplyDeleteinteresting! i'm really excited to read your blog... i've become more interested in japanese culture over the past few years. my boyfriend and i are planning a trip to tokyo asap!
ReplyDeleteas a side note, fireworks have always made me kind of nervous. i'm not really sure why... kind of childish, i suppose! i think the tokyo skyline is exactly what i need to ease my mind. ;)
When you go to Tokyo, enjoy your time there. It's a very busy place. People are always bustling everywhere.
ReplyDeleteI can understand how they may cause nervousness, since they can also cause quite a number of injuries if used incorrectly. So I get nervous from watching people play around with fireworks.