Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Biannual

Well, it seems like this will be the last entry in regards to "Word of the day". With my thesis having been successfully defended early last week, this is just another indicator that the semester is coming to a close, and, as is the case for some of us, signaling the completion of our respective degrees.

Anyway, biannual- occurs twice a year or once every two years. This was somewhat of a difficult word to work with, but with the help of Google, 'Japan', and 'biannual', I was able to find something interesting to write about.:)

In Japan, there is a biannual competition known as Robo-One. It started in 2002 and has been held twice a year since then. In this competition, competitors build humanoid robots and then battle it out for an equivalent of $10,000 cash prize for 1st place, $2,000 for 2nd, and $1,000 for 3rd.

Here are some pictures of the event:









Now, this may seem somewhat less-than-stellar in writing, and maybe even less so with pictures, but with video... it. is. amazing!!!



In this next video, it's of King Kaiser, robot of the Maru Family, and it has reigned as the champion for a few years.



There are some videos of Naoki Maru demonstrating the the "master/slave" control for his robot, King Kaiser, but I could only find those videos on another site, and they can't be re-embedded here. The site is here though, if you would like to see the motion control that is used by the family to control their robot

Although, I remember vaguely hearing about this competition some time ago, I never really looked into it. Now that I have, it has piqued my interest immensely. Perhaps the next time I go to Japan, I'll have to time it so that I can view this awesome tournament.

Here is an additional link to a video of a "female" robot that can walk, speak, and mimic facial expressions:

Female robot

And here is a link to an article describing a robot that learns like a child and mimics infant learning:

Child robot

14 comments:

  1. Interesting.....seems like a boyfest to me lol
    Also i guess that there are a lot of competitions that happen biannually because some1 else posted about one (although that one was a cooking competition)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Messed up my first post... will try again...

    One of the things I love about the Japanese is that science, intellect, etc., form the basis for so many things... in this case, even entertainment. Loved the videos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone remember robot wars on the Discoovrery Channel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!!! What did we do in class yesterday??? Did she give us the questions for the open discussion next week?
    Promero@uark.edu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we got that yesterday. You can probably go in and get it today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really cool. I wouldn't have guessed that there could be a returning champion. Are most of the competitors Japanese or does it pull in teams from other countries too? I see some English on the tables...

    Somewhat related (because this is what I think of when I think of robots):
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/2340/saturday-night-live-old-glory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this post rocked! I loved the videos too. I really should be doing homework, but I couldn't help but watch the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nicole- Haha, I laughed at that.:) And yes, there are competitors from outside of Japan, but I've only read of Korean competitors. I'm not certain about the rules regarding other countries though.

    @Kyle- Yeah... I know that feeling. That's how it was when I was looking for just the right videos to post on here.:P

    And Adam, sorry, I don't remember Robot Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I love Robots. Dont ask me why but I wish I could make one of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those videos were pretty awesome. I love the fact that it's almost like a real boxing match with the scantily clad girls. I think it's interesting that these personal robots are updated quicker than the corporate world, but why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the chicken robot!!! This was a cool posting and great for biannual... the Japanese culture has some very interesting treasures within!!! These robots remind me of some OLD boxing toys that we used to see when I was growing up, you controlled the red or the blue boxer with little thumb buttons...Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, they were called!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Madeline- I'd love to able to make one too. It would certainly make me feel more productive.

    @Jacquelynn- Well, I guess the difference would be that these robots are designed and created by individuals for the most part, rather than a large corporation. Although there are robot shows in which these corporations can show off their latest models, but these come around only once a year.:)

    I'll post a couple of examples on the main post.

    @L.C. Jones- The culture certainly does have interesting tidbits hidden within it. I'm constantly discovering more and more of it as I continue my studies, and these words of day have certainly helped. Oh, and those boxing toys... I believe that I still do see them around occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The links are now at the bottom of the post.

    ReplyDelete