Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Diaphanous

Delicate of form, translucent, vague or insubstantial. Those terms make up the meaning behind the word diaphanous. It took a bit of thought, but then something came to mind that can cover all of those meanings: Ghosts.

Yes, whether you believe in them or not, you've most likely heard ghost stories, either legends or encounters that friends or family claimed to have had... maybe even you yourself have experienced something metaphysical or paranormal. Most of the stories that we have heard, and most of what we know of ghosts, have been from a Western or American point of view, ranging from the calm and silent spirits haunting century-old homes to the Native American stories of ghosts coming and whisking away campers in the middle of the night... All of these stories have a distinctly American flair to them.

Just as America has its own ghost stories populated by phantasms and poltergeists, Japan has its own distinct and unique take on the ghostly and the paranormal.

Although I don't have too much knowledge about this area of Japanese lore, I will offer what I do know first, before going onto Wikipedia info. Japanese ghosts look human for the most part and typically wear the garb that they had on at the time of death or their funeral garments. If you've seen the Ring or similar takes on Japanese films, you probably have a good idea of how they appear. Long, dark, disheveled hair; light clothing; pale skin. That is the stereotypical Japanese ghost.

Actually, during my stay in Japan, a female Korean exchange student, who was also staying in the same dormitory, mistook me for a ghost one morning. This happened because I had just gotten up, I was in a white beater and light pajama pants, and I decided to head to the kitchen area upstairs to make something to eat. So I slipped into my soft and fuzzy slippers and made my way there without a sound. As I approached, I heard someone in the kitchen so I prepared myself to greet them. There is a large mirror in the kitchen in which someone can easily look into and see anyone who may be approaching , so as I entered the kitchen I assumed that she had seen me, but she was busy preparing her food at the counter with the mirror right in front of her, so I went by to the sink and counter on the opposite side of the room to prepare my own meal. Before doing so though, I turned around to her and said, "Ohayou... (Good morning...)," in a rather low and monotone voice. Upon hearing this, she looked up at the mirror, saw my disheveled hair and pale form, turned around in shock and screamed while crouching into a fetal position on the floor. While this was all occurring, I was a horrible person and was laughing at her reaction.=) After the initial shock and scream of terror, she fortunately started to laugh as well. Of course, I apologized. :)

I suppose this can be taken as an example of the similarity of Eastern ghosts and spirits. Long dark hair and white or light clothing, and suddenly appearing without a noise being made.

To get a few more details, I gathered some information from Wikipedia.com. Other common traits of Japanese ghosts are that they have no legs or feet, hence moving around silently. Also, their hands are constantly in a limp position. You can imagine a rabbit or dog's stance when they stand up, and you'll get an idea of how the ghost arms are positioned. Japanese ghosts also tend to have will-o-wisps, little balls of flame, floating around their forms.

The different types of ghosts fit into the same categories as some American ghosts:

Onryou are ghosts who return for vengeance upon those who wronged them.
Ubume are ghosts who died during childbirth, and they return to watch over their children.
Goryou are ghosts who belonged to the artistocratic class, and it's also mentioned that they were people who were usually martyred.
Funayurei are ghosts of those who died or vanished at sea.
Zashiki-warashi are the ghosts of children and are usually seen as being mischievous.
Warrior ghosts are ghosts of those who fell in battle.
Last, are the Seducer ghosts who return to carry out a love affair with a living person.

In regards to haunted areas... there was only one place that I heard about while there, and it's quite famous apparently. At the base of Mt. Fuji lies a deep and vast forest known as Aokigahara. Within this forest, hundreds of people have committed suicide there. With so many deaths being noted there, and hikers regularly stumbling upon the remains of those who have committed suicide, it makes sense that it would be considered a haunted area. It is of note that suicide rates are rather high in Japan, and one way that a lot of those suicide victims go about doing that is by hurling theirself off of the train station platforms when a train comes by, thus being killed by the impact or... being killed on the tracks. Both are rather morbid and horrid thoughts in my opinion.

I spent hours looking for videos that showed Japanese ghosts, and I managed to find some. I also found some American videos in order to better contrast the differences between the ghosts of one country from the other. Only the first video is subtitled. Of importance in the second video though is that they mention the dresser being very old and passed down through generations.










I personally don't believe in ghosts, but I was quite superstitious as a kid and I do still find ghost stories and evidence of the supernatural to be interesting material. It still causes shivers to run up my spine and the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end, all while taking the occasional glance behind myself.

To finish things off, while in Japan, a friend offered to take me to explore an abandoned hospital that is supposedly haunted. At first, I eagerly agreed to it, but after talking about it and the thought of a possible "curse" afflicting the place so as to cause it to be abandoned in the first place, I wisely backed out of that experience. Sometimes it's better to just let some things lie rather than disturb them...

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting! In English ghosts are ghosts regardless of their origin, but as is so often true in other languages, Japanese has multiple words that evoke the origin and intent of the particular sort of ghost. I'm always intrigued by linguistic differences like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the subject of ghosts comes up, I can't help thinking of Harry Houdini, who spent several years of his life investigating ghostly phenomena.

    I think you were correct in thinking "sometimes it's better to just let some things lie rather than disturb them."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post, especially the videos. Just comparing these two clips, it would seem that Japanese people take ghosts more seriously than Americans.
    I would recommend seeing the movie "Ugetsu". I believe it was directed by Mizoguchi and I think you can find it in the Fayetteville Public Library. Part of the movie deals with the idea of the seducer ghost. It's considered a classic of Japanese cinema, so I would just watch for that reason too :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very interesting post, Farte!! It reminds me of an old web cam I used to check in on from time to time: http://www.libraryghost.com/ They have a long history of ghosts in this library and they have three cameras set up to try and catch a glimpse of the ghost!!! Of course, some take advantage and draw their own spirits into their pictures...but, you never know what you might see!! Needless to say, there are lots of places one can identify as ghostly!! Old plantation homes, the old hollow in Fayetteville supposedly has ghosts from the Civil War days, Old Main, I believe, has a ghost...

    I wonder about such phenomena in other cultures??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch that webcam occasionally too. I never saw anything myself though.:) I am curious about the differences in how other cultures perceive a place to be 'haunted' versus how our culture perceives it.

    Well, Jacquelynn, those two clips are from shows that look for evidence of ghosts, but it seems to be more for ratings purposes and entertainment. Not too different from what you may see on the SciFi channel. I actually went through A LOT of videos while searching for Japanese ghost videos, and I saw other shows with the same theme. I can't help but feel that the majority, if not all, of them are doctored. Of course, that's just my observation and opinion.

    From what I saw though, rather than looking for ghostly 'orbs' in photos, the Japanese ghosts turn up as heads and hands in photos. It's quite a contrast to how ghosts are portrayed in the U.S. as misty or translucent forms.

    And I will have to look into Ugetsu. I enjoy the thrill of ghost stories and ghostly media.

    On a sidenote... how were your reactions to some of the videos...?=) Truthfully, the third one got me when I first came across it, while the fourth one just cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, interesting post. Reminds me of when I used to live in Bolivia, there were always stories of "duendes" or goblins. They would catch you by promising you your heart's desire, then they would make you work in their mines. When it rained they would let you out to scream...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always manage to entertain me with your posts!!! As for the topic this time "ghosts" I don't believe in the at all; however I do get a chilling shiver down my spine watching videos like the ones posted or even on ghost hunting shows. Now, as for your experience with the poor korean girl, that is just rather hilarious!!!! I wonder how big superstition is in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post!! I also wrote about ghosts in my blog... check it out to read about "La Llorona."

    I have to be honest... ghosts have always given me the creeps. I'm kind of a scaredy cat when it comes to the paranormal. I live in Prairie Grove, right around the corner from the famous civil war battlefield, and I'm pretty paranoid about stumbling onto the ghost of a dead confederate soldier. ;P

    I had never really considered the cultural differences of ghosts and ghost stories... it's really interesting to learn what is and isn't scary to any given culture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pass by that battlefield on my way to town everyday. I've never thought about the paranormal aspect of it though...

    The idea of ghosts does give me the creeps still. I just try to calm myself with rational thoughts and everything seems okay.

    ReplyDelete